Character Areas Tour
If one leaves the eastern end of the Grecian Valley by way of the avenue of trees that leads to the School's Bourbon Playing Fields, one can make detour to the south and east across an open field to a clump of beech trees under which stands a monument to the second Duke of Buckingham and Chandos.
The second Duke, like his father and grandfather, maintained a passion for military life and gave strong support to the Buckinghamshire Yeomanry cavalry. At his grandfather's death in 1813, he became Colonel Commandant of its Second Regiment, and he privately sponsored the continued service of that regiment when the First and Third Regiments were disbanded in 1828. It was the second Duke who in 1843 transformed the Bourbon Tower into a military fortification, providing it with its crenelated octagonal turret and with a moat, redoubt, magazine, and battery. His monument, erected in his memory by the Privates and Non Commissioned Officers of the Yeomanry, stands in sight of the Tower to the west on the high ground of the drill field.
TO THE MEMORY
AS A MARK OF RESPECT FOR HIM
MAY HE REST IN PEACE